The Third Eye Chakra is the Narrow Gate to Heaven
Often called the Agnya or Brow Chakra, this special energy centre is a narrow gate that we must pass through to achieve self realisation. It is a ‘smaller’ chakra with only 2 petals, representing our egos and superegos and giving us the quality of forgiveness.
Outwardly situated at the centre of the forehead, when this chakra is opened we are able to feel the soothing quality of forgiveness – not just for others but also for ourselves. It is a difficult thing to achieve, because it means that we have to reduce both the ego and the superego. Kundalini awakening can help us but we can also use the mantra ‘I forgive everyone, including myself’ instead.
The 2 petals (or aspects) of this chakra (chakra meaning wheel in Sanskrit) corresponds to the 2 entities of ego and superego. These 2 entities are created as by-products when we act or feel emotions as we grow to adulthood. All our planning and thoughts of the future are stored in our egos; and all our emotions and thoughts of the past are stored in the superego (or psyche). The ego and superego grow and grow until we feel cut off from the Whole (the Collective Unconscious) that is all around us. We start to identify more with our egos and superegos than with our true identities – that is the Spirit in our hearts.
When we are full of ego and superego, not only are we likely to hurt ourselves or others, but we can’t feel at peace because we start reacting to everything and we feel stressed and even depressed. We can overcome this by the power of forgiveness. We can forgive whatever is bothering us and regain a sense of peace.
The element of the Third Eye Chakra is fire so looking at a candle flame is a good way to clear this chakra and relax it. You will feel there are fewer thoughts coming to you after that.
This is the sixth chakra that the sacred Kundalini energy must pass through and it was opened by Jesus Christ. Jesus told us that it was the narrow gate that you must pass through to enter the Kingdom of Heaven – which is the limbic area of the brain in the microcosm. When we pass through here we start to feel bliss and relaxation before achieving self realisation.
Clear Quartz and Black Obsidian are very complimentary crystals for the energy of this chakra:
Black Obsidian is a stone of truth and protection. It removes negativity and confusion, bringing clarity to the mind. This supports the opening of the third eye, revealing the ego and super ego and expanding the consciousness.
Clear Quartz is the supreme healing crystal bringing mental clarity, emotional stability and unlocking the memory. It is a perfect balance for the yin and yang of the Third Eye chakra where the channels of the sympathetic nervous system connect.
Chic & Raw's Third Eye Chakra Crystal Candle is scented with Elderflower & Grapefruit, which is an intensely, juicy citrus fragrance supported by the floral, freshness of elderflower. This perfume combination elevates you from everyday stress and sadness by lifting the mood and invigorating emotions.
Here is a short meditation for the Third Eye Chakra (Agnya).
- Light a candle and sit comfortably, preferably on the ground so that the root chakra can be closer to the Mother Earth, which has a cleansing effect on all our chakras.
- Close your eyes and place your palms face upwards on your lap. Place your right hand on the forehead, touching the temples on both sides – this helps focus your attention there. Hold your attention there for a few minutes and every time your attention wanders away, gently bring it back to this chakra.
- Inside yourself to your own Spirit, say the affirmation: Please make me a more forgiving person or please forgive me. Or say I forgive everyone and I forgive myself. Say it as many times as you need to.
- Continue to sit with your attention on this chakra for a while. Then after a few minutes, guide your attention up through the centre of your body to the crown of the head. If you can’t do that easily, you can use your right hand and lift it slowly in front of you from the base of your spine to the top of your head. Do this 7 times.
- Then take your right hand and place it firmly on the top of your head and press down. Hold it there for a few minutes so that your attention stays there.
- Move your hand back to your lap and keep your attention at the top of your head and sit quietly like this for a few more minutes.
- Slowly open your eyes – hopefully everything will look brighter and you will be feeling more relaxed and energised.
Try this at home and let me know if this works for you!